21 August 2012

I bet nobody looked this hot in the Fifties


But I bet those people all had some form of air conditioning. That was already a thing in the Fifties, wasn't it?

Anyway. I just got back from a festival! Yay! My eighth Lowlands. I love that festival so hard. One of my favourite events of the year. Unfortunately, the organisation has a habit of making bad decisions since the festival is so popular, so last year they raised the ticket prices by a whopping 20 bucks instead of the usual 5-10 because of increased taxes. There have been complaints. Lots of them, in fact. Other festivals were quick to announce that they were not going to raise the prices because they felt it was unfair to their audience. Not that the organisation of Lowlands cared. They sold out the festival in about 20 minutes anyway. We decided that we weren't going to go since we had no idea of the line-up yet (nothing had been confirmed at the time of the ticket sale) and with me being in an uncertain financial situation, we didn't want to spend that much money on tickets anyway.

As August drew nearer and nearer I began to get that itch, that 'it's almost time for Lowlands!' itch, and I tried telling myself that it was never going to be as fun as last time, and that there weren't really any bands I was dying to see. But the itch, you guys, it didn't stop! I was very happy when they announced that they were going to broadcast it all on Youtube, but that didn't satisfy the itch either! I started searching for other ways to get in anyway, even though it was all sold out, participated in just about every single giveaway and contest I could find... And then, last week on Tuesday, they put up another couple of tickets for sale (tickets that were kept for promotion purposes, probably), and the BF got us tickets! He had recognised the itch. In fact, I'm pretty sure he had the same itch, only he hides it better than me.



So off we went, to what turned out to be the hottest edition of the festival ever. And I mean hot, as in, 38 degrees on Saturday hot. Record-breaking temperatures, hot. We used up 125.000 litres of water an hour on Saturday, hot. Granted, most of that probably ended up in water balloons and squirt guns because we have had some crazy water fights. But it was great! I had so much fun! I didn't get any sleep at all so now I am absolutely pooped, and my feet are still killing me (they're also covered in band-aids, it looks really pathetic), but I had a great time. The itch got scratched good.

I don't do really well in sweltering heat, so I was happy being out in the open air this weekend where I was never without someone splashing me with cold water (I don't think I've ever fully appreciated water balloons before, but damn it, I do now) or a good, old-fashioned paper fan nearby, but now we're back in our little sauna on the top floor of our building and I am in dire need of some form of refreshment while I fuss about with a metric ton of laundry and stuff to clean. The Fifties-style headscarf is today's solution to floaty, fluffy, tickly hairs in my face and neck because damn it, that's a type of itch that I really can't deal with in this heat. I actually kind of like the look! Not that I'd take it out on the streets, I'm not that brave. I even used a tutorial to tie it properly, by the lovely Keiko Lynn. She wears it muuuuch better than me, though.

Last but not least, before I go back to the regularly scheduled humdrum of everyday life and work, let me show you some things that have done amazingly well in the heat:

Look at my pretties! Eh.. and please pay no mind to the store-bought basil in the back, as I'm afraid it did not survive the weekend... But look at the rest! Look at the tomato plant, I mean, holy shit! and the herb box is almost overflowing! This made me very happy when I got home yesterday afternoon, because I was afraid that they wouldn't survive. Even the Moroccan mint is growing like nobody's business. Yay! You know what this means? That there are mojitos in my near future, people, and that I am going to enjoy this summer while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment