1 November 2010

Hmmmsoup...

I tried something new today. I put a pot of water on the stove, dumped in three bouillon-cubes, a bunch of broccoli and a handful of other veggies..

You can tell where this is going right?

To this!


But then I did this... *



And I got...

OHMYGODWHATHAPPENED?!

Oh, wait. I know what happened. Because then..


This happened.

And I hope a lot more of that will be happening tonight at dinner. That is, if I can stop myself from wandering in the kitchen every now and then and sticking my face in the pot and drinking all of this right up.


*: (okay, not really. I stuck my immersion blender in the pot and made lots of nasty squishy splurtsy noises.)


Broccoli soup

-one head of broccoli
- about 1.2 liters of water
-other veggies to taste (I used a handful of veggies from a veggie mix, with carrots, onions, bell peppers, leeks and something that looked a hell of a lot like more broccoli)
-2 or 3 vegetable bouillon-cubes (depends on your taste, I like mine a bit salty)
- bacon cubes or strips of bacon, cut into small bits
- mushrooms, sliced.

Chop the florets off the broccoli and put them in a large pot. Chop the stems into smallish bits (or leave them out, up to you). Throw in the other veggies, all chopped into small bits (if they're not chopped already). Pop in the cubes and pour the water into the pot. Bring the whole thing to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are nice and soft.

Now comes the fun part. Take your immersion blender, stick it into the pot and WRRRIEEEEEEEEEENGGGGGGGGG it all together until smooth. Or, if you don't have an immersion blender or fear the possibility of green stains all over your kitchen because you are like me and will try to lift the immersion blender out too high so you can make a fountain with your soup (sorry), pour it into a blender and blend until smooth. You'll probably want to do this in batches, though.

Once all your soup is back in the pot (unless it's on your ceiling, then I wouldn't put that back in), taste and add salt and pepper.

Keep it warm while you fry up the bacon bits/cubes and the mushrooms (I'd do it separately, but I guess you can just throw both in a big frying pan and stirfry).

To serve, either add the bacon and mushrooms to the soup beforehand, or keep them in a separate bowl like toppings. Serve with cheesy bread, breadsticks or cheesy breadsticks (see the general idea here?)

I saw people also liked to put in a bit of heavy cream or sour cream, which might also be a nice addition.

2 comments:

  1. Tis the season for soup. Frightfully chilly here at the moment. Looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm..... broccoli soup is my favorite! This looks great- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete